Book Now

1331 Estate Taarneberg,
St. Thomas, USVI 00802

Phone: (340) 774-1600

History of Bluebeard’s Castle

History of Bluebeard's Castle



Bluebeard's Castle tower was built in the late 1600s by the Danes as a stronghold to help reinforce Fort Christian below. It was abandoned in 1735 and then sold as private property in the early 1800s. Over the years it changed hands many times until it was purchased by the United States Government in 1933. To help promote tourism to St. Thomas, the tower was turned into a hotel. In 1934, President Franklin D. Roosevelt visited the hotel. The United States sold the hotel to a private owner in 1954 and thereafter, it was bought and sold several times before finally becoming a timeshare resort. Bluebeard's Castle Resort celebrated a grand reopening in 2011 after extensive renovations. The Castle Tower is available for tours daily at 10 a.m. except on Thursday when the tour is at 5:30 p.m. Visitors will see a variety of artifacts that have been salvaged from the sea and antique photos of St. Thomas. At the conclusion of the tour visitors will arrive on the top level and can enjoy the beautiful panoramic views of the waterfront and downtown Charlotte Amalie.



Causey, Donna R. "Bluebeard's Castle in the Virgin Islands - Is It Haunted by Pirates?" Days Gone By. N.p., 17 July 2016. Web. 21 Nov. 2016. <>.

Gjessing, Frederick C. & Philip E. Gardner, "Frederiksfort, Bluebeard's Castle." Written Historical and Descriptive Data, Historic American Buildings Survey, National Park Service (HABS No. VI-16;

Palancia, Vincent. "The Story of Bluebeard's Castle." Destination U.S. Virgin Islands 2015 (2015): 54-57. Print.